Crochet with Wire

I decided I wanted to try something different, so I bought myself Nancie M. Wiseman's book, Crochet with Wire.
My older sister quite thoughtfully bought me Annie Modesitt's book, Twist and Loop, wanting to get me a unique Christmas present on the subject that I love.

So I spent a while studying both books, trying to get a feel of the general techniques and strategies, such as how to attatch the closures. When I felt I had a grasp of the concept, I headed on down to Michaels, where I got a few things to get me started.

The first item I made was a necklace.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It turned out a little long for where the neckline of most of my shirts fall, but other than that, I am pleased with it as a first effort.

Emboldened by my success, I decided to try my hand at a bracelet. I will say here I attempted to use 24 gauge wire, which to me felt extremely stiff and difficult to work with. I may try that gauge again with more experience under my belt as the finished piece is still flexible enough to be wearable, but has a solidity to it that I think would be a huge advantage with certain designs.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

As I liked the look of that bracelet for the most part, I decided to use the same beads and change the design slightly. I quite liked the way the second one turned out. In fact, I was proud enough of it to include it as part of my younger sisters birthday present.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


And the wire crochet adventure will continue in the next post.

Comments

Lex said…
Gorgeous bracelets.
Bflylady said…
Gorgeous! May I ask which book the bracelet pattern was in? I just LOVE the bracelets!
Bflylady said…
I LOVE the bracelets! May I ask which of the two books the bracelet pattern was in? Gorgeous!

Popular posts from this blog

Hobo-style bag

Spiderweb Cardigan

Drops of Rose Necklace